35 min prep time
1 ½ cup parboiled rice, such as Uncle Ben’s
2 tbsp. safflower oil
1tbsp. minced garlic
1 small onion, diced
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne
7 oz. can diced green chiles, drained of excess liquid
3 cup water
1 cup cilantro, washed, dried, roughly chopped
1 cup Beecher's Flagship cheese, shredded
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add rice, stir to coat. Cook, stirring frequently until rice is uniformly golden brown.
2. Add onion and cook an additional two minutes.
3. Add garlic, salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and diced green chiles. Saute another 30 seconds.
4. Add water and mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed 20-25 minutes.
5. When rice is tender remove from heat, pour into a shallow container to cool.
6. Place in refrigerator until chilled or serve at room temperature.
7. Add remaining ingredients just before serving.